CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Ketchup

This morning I made the most amateur of all mothering mistakes. A big no-no in the world of toddlers and picky eaters alike. I let Savannah help me prepare dinner. See, for dinner tonight we are going to grill delicious shish kabobs, and therefore, the meat needs to marinate in the fridge all day so it will be deliciously scrumptious for tonight. So, I start to do my thing in the kitchen, when my adorable three year old all full of curiosity and such, asks if she can help me. I readily agree. I mean, don't all experts agree that it is good to cook with your children?? (I swear, I thought I heard that somewhere and don't ask me to quote who said it, I just know it to be true. or not.) Anyway moving right along, here is how the conversation went.

Me: Okay Savy, first we put in the soy sauce. Let's look on the recipe and see how much we need.

Savy: Ewww. That looks gross. Why are you putting that in there. I don't like that stuff.

Me: We are putting it in there because that's what the recipe tells us to do.You won't even taste it when we're done. I promise. Okay, next ingredient, brown sugar.

Savy: Are you sure you don't need this white sugar right here? This stuff is pretty, let's put this in instead.

Me: No Savy, the recipe calls for BROWN sugar, not POWDERED sugar. (Jeesh, mumbling and grumbling under my breath. Who invited this child to cook with me anyway?!)

And so it went with the next ingredients, vinegar (smells too yucky), garlic (disgusting) and lemon lime soda (why are you putting Sprite all over our meat???)

Me: Honey, this is really good. Just trust mom. You will love it. It will be delicious. You love steak on the BBQ, right? Well, this is just like that.

Savy: Can I eat it with sauce?

Me: Sure honey, we have steak sauce. That would be yummy.

Savy: No mom, I want to dip it in lots of ketchup!

Dear Ketchup,
You are a savior in our house. Many a meal could not have been consumed without your flavor masking powers. May you forever reign strong in our household and continue to use your powers of persuasion to get picky three year olds to EAT THEIR DINNERS! Thank you for your time.

Love, Mom

10 comments:

Kristi said...

AMEN and Hallelujah!!!!!! Ranch dressing is also a favorite in our house. And my kids aren't even that picky! They eat pretty much anything we give them!

Aubree said...

Dinner sounds good... sure wouldn't mind an invite. :)

Florrie said...

Aubs, We'll invite you next time...promise!

Damon said...

flo - i'm through the first 3 DVD's of 24 (sort of, the first disk is missing from our Blockbuster so I started at 4 am)

it's growing on me. I think the first disk might have helped me get on board quicker.

oh yeah, viva la ketchup.

Meghan said...

Florrie,
Damon has gotten me started reading your blog. I love it, you are so funny! I think that we have met once or twice in the Xactware days, but I have heard many a stories about seminary and the school newspaper. All good, BTW.
Anyway, have any suggestions with kids that are so picky that they won't even eat ketchup? I have a boy that won't eat anything with any sort of topping, especially if it is white, not even whipped cream. And Anna hates ketchup, I can't figure out where these kids came from.
If you haven't seen it already, our "family" blog is http://meghanmacarthur.blogspot.com/

Florrie said...

Damon,
So does that mean you missed the first four epiosodes? Or is it six? I can't quite remember. Glad you are liking it so far....just remember it's only the first season so you ain't seen nothing yet. Is Meghan watching it with you? I got hooked on it when I was preggo with my third and I was so tired I could barely stay awake for one episode, but was compelled to stay up and watch 3 or 4 in a row...we would stay up till all hours. And now, I swear, that show is like Pavlov's dogs. When we were watching the last season my eyes would start to droop after 10 minutes. Oh well.....

P.S. Do you have a man crush on Jack Bauer yet....just you wait....you will.

Florrie said...

Meghan,
Thank you so much for the comment on my blog. I feel like I know so much about you already, but that is mainly due to the fact that I am an obsessive blog stalker....it's sort of a problem of mine. As for the picky kids, all of mine (and I have 12 of them according to Damon) have gone through I horrible picky stage at around 3 years of age. They should grow out of it. Have you tried Ranch dressing, italian dressing, bbq sauce, heck even Arby's special sauce? I am so not against having my child dip their food in anything they want just so they will eat it. I also have a son who won't eat whipped cream and I wonder if he really is my child. (I like to do whip cream shots straight from the can.) Don't lose hope though, I'm sure it is something they will grow out of. At least that's been my experience. Hope that helps.

Jenny said...

Flo, you are hilarious! Savvy is hilarious! By the way, I want that marinade recipe A.S.A.P! Oh, and Ranch is the savior in our house! Love ya!

Damon said...

flo - yep, I missed the first 3 episodes I guess. I think I saw from 4 a.m. on (i'm to 12 am I think). I'll have to track down that pesky first disc somewhere.

Meg is sort of watching with me. She falls asleep a lot or finds something to read. (I think there is something wrong with her)normally she loves guns and terrorists :) jk meg.

NO, I don't have a "man crush" on Baur. I am not even sure what a man crush is but pretty sure I don't get them. At least that is what my boyfriend always tells me...

John McLay (aka Cheeky Husband) said...

Florrie,

This blog thing is new to me, but Brooke told me I had to check our the Nuttall blog. You are hilarious, little sister! And, did you know, that Brooke read a good portion of you "Ketchup" blog while giving a talk in sacrament meeting last week?! It was quite funny!

We miss you guys! Thanks for letting us stop by during our recent visit!

Love,

John