CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, June 1, 2008

Swimming with the fishies

Tonight at the dinner table we had the most hilarious conversation with our three year old. And since kids say the cutest things I just had to share......After all, isn't that what this blogging business is all about.


So, over our delicious dinner (it really WAS yummy. You can ask anyone. I'm not just giving myself a pat on the back. Okay. I am.) I struck up a conversation about Lewis and I's very first trip to Hawaii. I was 10 weeks pregnant with Savy at the time, so I just casually mentioned to the kids that Savannah was the only one of our children that had been to Hawaii. Well, cute little munchkin that she is, piped up: "I was in your tummy, right mom?" "Yes, honey, you were just a baby in Mommy's tummy. You got to go swimming with Mommy." "OOH, (she's says with the cutest look on her face) was I wearing my swimming suit?"





And now I end this story with another story.... Since we're on the topic of Hawaii and swimming.... I really must love all of you to share this story with you as it was not the highlight of my life. Picture this: beautiful Maui, Hawaii. I am pregnant with my third child, and VERY morning sick. But, I decide to be a trooper anyway, and Lew and I sign up for a snorkeling trip. (Hey, when in Rome......) I am someone who gets motion sick anyway, add that to the morning sickness, and the fact that I couldn't take anything for the motion sickness because I was preggers, and you have a recipe for disaster. We took a boat ride out to the place we were going to snorkel. I got sick, but sucked it up. We got in the water and started to snorkel. I was having a lot of fun, but kept swallowing the salt water. ( I was the very NOVICE of novice snorkelers.) Finally, I had a little too much of the ocean, I gagged, and up came my breakfast. (Now let me rewind a little bit. Before you leave the boat to snorkel you are given hoards of instructions, one of them being to "under no circumstances" FEED THE FISH!) Well, you can imagine what happened. It was a feeding frenzy for those fish. I was swarmed by literally THOUSANDS of fish, all trying to eat my vomit (which is disgusting in and of itself), and I literally had the most panic filled moment of my entire life. I was scrambling and trying to swim out of there and hyperventilating and wanting to crap in my pants and couldn't reach the boat fast enough and one of the fish actually BIT MY FINGER. No lie. It was total pandemonium. And all the other snorkelers were in heaven. They could not figure out what had happened (no one saw me throw up, not even Lewis), but they were loving all the fish that had come around and assumed that someone had brought food off the boat into the water. Well, needless to say, I got back to the boat, hung my head in shame, and would NOT get off to snorkel again, not even to see the Sea turtles (I now wish I had.) I spent the rest of the trip with my head in the toilet and the knowledge that apparently I had a fear of fish. (Who knew.)

8 comments:

Kristi said...

Oh man, I feel your pain. Not the morning sickness pain, but the motion sickness. I have snorkeled many times but don't think I'll do it again. I suck at it. And by suck I mean I suck in every ounce of water I come across. Nasty!!

Meghan said...

That sounds like something that would happen to me. In fact I have a great throw up story that relates, but I will spare you and all your readers. Did you at least get to enjoy some of Hawaii?

Florrie said...

Meghan, You can't do that to me....that's like someone saying "I have a secret, but I can't tell." Now you have to divulge. Do you need my e-mail address or do you just want to do a post on your blog about it?? J/k I think almost everyone has one of those stories.....at least if you've had morning sickness you've got one of those stories.

As for Hawaii, we did have a great time. It was a little different because of the pregnancy, meaning I didn't want to do as much. Lew and I just went again last Jan. for our 10 year anniversary and this time we went to Kauai. It was the most amazing trip I have ever been on. I've got to figure out a way that I can go every year...cause I'm pretty sure I deserve it.:)

Meghan said...

Ok, it isn't quite as gross as yours, but the memory still haunts me. My mom and sister and I went to see Les Miserables in Salt Lake when I was 15. I had the stomach flu for about a week and was still really really sick. I wasn't going to miss it though. I had read the book and listened to the music months ahead, so I was determined to go. But I didn't make it through the first intermission. And the lady in front of me had, yes, throw up in her hair. She got A LOT more than she paid for. Gross, huh. See you really didn't want to hear that. The next year, my mom felt so bad that she took me to see it again.

Meghan said...

Hey you can email me anytime though. My email is in my profile, under contact. I am going to need some good Utah friends. So we will have to get in touch as soon as we get moved. (in about a month)

Florrie said...

Meghan, Your e-mail and I are not compatible. Either that, or it hates me. Tried to send you an e-mail, but it won't let me because I have a "hotmail" accunt. I felt like a leper or something because I don't have gmail. Do you have a back up e-mail addy?

Meghan said...

hmmm, I don't have another email right now. Try Damon's on his profile, that might work. If that doesn't work I will just sign up with hotmail.

Damon said...

I knew this was going to be gross... thanks for that.